Why A Registered Building Practitioner Must Be Part of Your Building Plans

Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 8:44:21 AM UTC

Only Registered Building Practitioners meet the legal requirements to carry out domestic building work over $5,000 in Victoria.  You can be confident Registered Building Practitioners have the qualifications, knowledge, experience, and domestic building insurance (where works exceed $12,000).

Identifying a Registered Building Practitioner is easy too – just look for the logo or ask to see their official photo identification

Who needs to be a Registered Building Practitioner?

If a person is in the ‘business of building’ then more than likely they should be registered with the Building Practitioners Board (BPB).

The Building Act 1993 requires most people who carry out or undertake work in building to be registered as building practitioners with the BPB. Registered Building Practitioners are required to carry the appropriate insurance to provide consumers with better protection where works exceed $12,000. The BPB registers individuals not companies or businesses.

The Building Regulations 2006 outline the various categories and classes of building practitioners. The ability to be registered is based upon the nature and extent of the practitioner’s qualifications and experience. The following categories and classes of building practitioners are currently required to be registered with the BPB:

  • Building surveyor (Unlimited/Limited)
  • Building inspector (Unlimited/Limited)
  • Quantity surveyor
  • Engineer (Civil/Mechanical/Electrical/Fire Safety)
  • Draftsperson (Building design – architectural, interior, services)
  • Builder (Commercial builder – unlimited/limited)
  • Builder (Domestic builder – unlimited/limited/manager)
  • Builder (Demolisher – low rise buildings/medium rise buildings/unlimited)
  • Erector or supervisor (temporary structures – Class 1 and 2).

Selecting plumbing, electrical and gas fitting contractors

For plumbing, electrical and gas fitting work, there are a number of checks you can take before selecting a contractor:

  • Use only a registered electrical contractor and ask to see their licence.
  • Ensure that you are issued with a Certificate of Electrical Safety.
  • Always use a licensed plumber (look for an official ID card).
  • Make sure your plumber is accredited to perform the particular kind of work you need. (This is shown on their ID card).
  • Make sure your plumber gives you a Compliance Certificate at the end of any job costing $500 or more (or for an underground drain, or most gasfitting jobs, whatever the value).

Using these precautions before work commences will make the building or renovating process a more rewarding one.

Posted in:  by Administrator